Water sold in plastic bottles is a 150€ billion market. In France, water in plastic bottles is 300 times more expensive to the consumer than tap water. Indeed, tap water is drinkable, and, in blind tasting, has been found to be preferred to bottled water. Bottled water (in plastic) is:
- 25 million of plastic bottles are used EVERY DAY only in France, among which only 49% are recycled,
- 22 000 tons of plastic waste are ending up in the sea EVERY DAY,
- Plastic has been found in the stomachs of 90% of seabird populations,
- Each plastic bottle needs more than 1000 YEARS to degrade into plastic beads, that cause further damage...
- 1 litre of water in plastic bottle = 10cl of petroleum + 80gr of coal + 42l of gas + 2 liters of water,
- It is the overexploitation of groundwaters by industries, which deprive the local populations of access to water (such as NESTLE in Brazil, in Pakistan),
- Water in plastic bottles remain hours/days on pallets outside, sometimes in direct sunlight, how can this be good for your health?
- If you need to carry water, choose carefully your container.
Source : infography Mr. Mondialisation